Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert on anything law school other than the year and a half I've spent here. Please trust your own instinct in any of your decisions.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Transfer Personal Statement

See Original Question in Post Below
I'm going to do a lengthy post about personal statements, but I'll throw out a little information here. Personal statements are one of those things that you can never really tell how much it weighed in, but I can tell you what I focused on in my own. I'm a believer that a personal statement (like a cover letter) needs to be very specific and fact saturated. You don't want to use fluffy, ambiguous promises like "I know I can do well at a better school" or "I am very passionate about the law." I really think that ever transfer personal statement should have something that says, "Although I had a great experience at my first school school, I know that it is time for a change because......." This is very common knowledge, but do not EVER say anything negative about your current school in your personal statement.

If you are transferring, law schools know that you want to be a lawyer. Don't tell them that you've dreamed about being a lawyer ever since you were three years old. I think you have two ways to go with a personal statement. The first and probably the most effective (from what I've read) is based on need. This is probably not going to get you a big jump in status but it might help if you want to transfer laterally. I wouldn't suggest making it up either because you don't want that hanging over your head once bar admissions come around. By need, I mean you have a sick family member, need to be closer to a spouse, or you have a business you are running and need to be closer. I wouldn't search for these things, but I would definitely include it if you think reasonable. Personally, I would never mention anything about saving money but going back to an in state school or anything like that.

The second way to go is to pick a specialty. My personal statement focused on intellectual property, and many of the schools I applied to were known for that program. I am interested in intellectual property but it's not my life's passion. But is sounds better than saying, "I'm anxious to find out what kind of law I want to practice." An employer wants someone who knows what he or she wants and I believe that law schools are the same way. Pick something and stick to it and emphasize why that school will help you get there. Also, indicating a need to be in the area with this should help out. But don't simply put, I want to work in NYC. Learn how to make things sound better than your (and mine) instinctive desire to make lots of money, go to the best school, and work in the best market. Disguise your desire to by in NYC by saying something like, "New York City has a thriving job market, and I feel a need to attend law school in the area to give myself the best possible chance to succeed in civil litigation."

As far as your classmates, learn to embrace them. Like it or not, you're going to be working for them and against them in some form or another. I learned quickly in law school that even the annoying kid that asks all the questions serves a purpose. They all have outlines, football tickets, insider tips from professors, and many other assets to you. You may want to be separated from your classmates but don't let them know it. You never know when you might need something.

0 Comments:

© Blogger Templates | Tech Blog